Recipe for the ultimate family picnic!
I love picnics – on a nice, summer day, what better way to spend some quality time with your family? It is the ultimate family activity! Here are a few suggestions for turning your picnics into an extra-wonderful day of fun for you and the kids:
Pick out a picnic basket as a family or decorate an old one to give it some pizazz! Use whatever craft materials you have lying around the home.
Plan the meal (simple dishes) with your kids, and have them help prepare it. A few of my favorite picnic foods that are easy to make and easy to take are:
- Any kind of sandwiches, cut into fun shapes using a cookie cutter
- Sliced fruit or fruit salad with a suger & creamcheese or vanilla yogurt & honey dip
- Thin pretzel stickes stuck into cubes of cheese
- Trail mix
- Corn and black bean salad (canned corn & black beans mixed with Italian dressing)
- Rice krispie treats
I also think that planning activities is also a terrific way to add extra excitement to the day. The next time you pack up a picnic for the park, consider bringing along a:
- pair of binnoculars
- butterfly net
- container of bubbles and bubble blower
- small ball for playing catch
- small radio
Run some of these suggestions by your family the next time you want to head out for a picnic and see which ones captue their interest – everyone will be sure to have a great time!
Posted by Erica Lauren – August 8, 2010
Tags: activities for kids, family activities, family picnic ideas, fun family activities, ideas for family picnics, kid's activities, kids picnics, outdoor activities for kids, outdoor kids activities, picnic ideas for kids, picnics for kids